Outbreak Of Cholera Kills 500 people In Congo

World Health Organisation(WHO) in a statement released said that outbreaks of the water-borne disease occurred regularly in Congo, mainly due to poor sanitation and the lack of access to clean drinking water. It stated that this year’s epidemic, which hit at least 10 urban areas including Kinshasa, was particularly disturbing as about 1.4 million people were displaced by violence in the central Kasai region.

The WHO said at least 528 people had died and the epidemic had spread to 20 of Congo’s 26 provinces. It noted that “the risk of spread remains very high toward the Grand Kasai region, where degraded sanitary and security conditions further increase vulnerability in the face of the epidemic. So far, health officials have recorded more than 24,000 suspected cases of the disease across the vast nation this year, averaging more than 1,500 new cases per week since the end of July.

Share Via!
SEE THIS!  INEC To Close Voter’s Registration In Anambra On Aug. 15

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *